Bloomin’ Beerfest in Phoenix, AZ – James Joyce Celebration!
The Irish Cultural Center is hosting the 8th Annual Bloomin’ Beerfest in Phoenix, AZ this coming weekend, June 14th. It is a local event that commemorates the Irish author, James Joyce, through readings of his work, Irish music, food and festivities including beer tasting! It’s a fun filled event and a chance for all beer lovers, Joyce fans, and Irish people to join in.
It’s a Bloomsday Celebration! Bloomsday is derived from Leopold Bloom, the protagonist in Joyce’s novel, Ulysses. June 16th, 1904 was the day in which the events in the novel were set. Bloom traveled around Dublin meeting unique characters and exploring the city’s pubs. Bloomsday is actually celebrated in Ireland and throughout the world by both the Irish and Joyce fans.
What to Expect & Ticket Information
The Irish Cultural Center Academy Band and the Brazen Heads will be contributing the Irish music for this event. ICC Academy Readers Theatre and the Ulysses Readers will be reading passages from Joyce’s novel, Ulysses throughout the night. Food will be available for purchase, as well as a wide array of specialty beers produced in Arizona and Ireland. There will be a full bar as well, so drinks are not limited to beer.
- Beer-tasting admission is $25 presale or $35 at the gate. Presale tickets are available until June 14th at noon. The tickets include all Bloomsday activities plus 16 tokens which can be used for beer and food. Tickets also include admission to the McClelland Irish Library—those who are members of the Library will receive 4 extra tickets.
- Teetotaler’s admission is $10 at the gate. Price includes all Bloomsday activities and a free soda/bottled water. No alcohol can be purchased with this admission.
- This event is geared more towards an older audience (18+ years old), and readings will also be restricted to 18+ years old. However, children are able to come and tickets for children under 12 are only $1.
- Additional beer and food tickets can be purchased on site for $1/each.
- Ticket information can be found HERE
The Bloomin’ Beerfest will be this Saturday, June 14, 2014, at the Irish Cultural Center (1106 N. Central Ave, Phoenix) from 7pm-11pm (gates open at 6:30pm). Come on out and enjoy this incredible event!